Wednesday, February 10, 2010

So Easy, Yet...

It's so easy to get caught up in real life, and to forget other things you wanted to do with your time. When I decided to start writing this blog, I wanted to dedicate time to it every day. I figured, "Hey, it'll be easy! Sit down and write for just a few minutes a day!" What I didn't anticipate would be how hard finding that time would be when you've got a daughter that only naps for 30 minutes at a time, doesn't really nap anywhere but on you, and doesn't go to bed at the same time every night. Finding things to write about when you spend just about every day inside, doing the same things over and over again, is hard. Finding the motivation when you're already drained from juggling child-rearing with housework, housework with being a good wife, is hard.

Aurora has been doing well with weight gain, going from 9 lbs 10 oz to 11 lbs in about a month and a half. Still a bit slower than we'd like, but I'm doing my best. I've started taking domperidone in addition to the fenugreek and blessed thistle and that seems to have helped, even if I only started it a few days ago. I've noticed that I'm pumping more after a feeding, and the amount she's taking from the SNS has dropped. We started going to a new doctor for her, since the old one was by our old house. It was probably three weeks between when we saw her pediatrician last and when we started going to this new family doctor, and she'd only gained five ounces. Not good. So, I increased the amount I was supplementing with from two to three ounces, and became more aggressive about pumping (as in I stopped being lazy and did it every time, instead of some of the time.) I started waking up at 4 AM to pump, unless she was in bed with us (which had her snacking all night). In two weeks, she gained one pound. Today was supposed to be her next weigh-in, but it snowed a ton last night and frankly, I'm scared of the roads. My new plan is to have us go tomorrow, come home and eat dinner, then go to La Leche League. Missing tomorrow is not an option, as I'm down to about 20 oz of donated breast milk in my freezer, and I'd prefer the safety net of having more. I don't freeze any of my own milk, I use it fresh so that I can make the donated stuff last longer. That, and I just like seeing the ladies. :)

Right after Aurora's two-month immunizations, she started sleeping through the night, midnight to eight AM. This spoiled me, because right after her four-month immunizations, she didn't anymore. I wanted to scream. I had to bring her to bed with us to get any manner of sleep. We co-slept for a few months when she was small enough to be swaddled and that worked okay, but once she got too big for the swaddle, sleeping with her is very difficult. She's not a "dreamfeeder," meaning both of us have to wake up for her to eat, and I have to remain awake for the entire feeding. She also enjoys kicking me in her sleep. Overall, this means I get very little quality sleep. We both sleep better in our individual beds. I only got her back into her crib a week or so ago, and two nights ago ended up with her in our bed again after she refused to go down in her crib. I ended up giving up at 3:30, figuring that poor sleep was better than no sleep.

I wish she were reliable again.

No comments:

Post a Comment